I personally hate annotation. I’m sorry everyone! I really do hate it! It always feels to me like I’m ruining the book with highlighting and marginal notes and it is SO IRRITATING because then what am I supposed to do with a bunch of highlighted paper and my scruffy but neat handwriting! It is no longer a book! It is work! NOOO! You have taken away the pleasure of reading, annotation. I convict you guilty of this terrible felony and here’s to it!
Annotation, for those who do not know, is basically just when you are reading a book for some required course work, some material, schoolwork, office rulebook, etcetera. You highlight important things that you have to look inside the meaning of, and make connections, more highlighting, make lots of marginal notes to prove you read the book, and then more highlighting. Got it?
What sort of thirst for words does annotation have?! No joke. Why does annotation even have to exist? Annotation, eat cabbage.
Before we continue, first I ask you to join me in my adventure through hating this stranger annotation. First, I will prove to you the annoyance.HOW FLIPPING ANNOYING IS THIS TO SEE ON EVERY PAGE OF THE BOOK?
Since I have the opportunity, I will grant you all the amazingness of a list. You cannot believe how awesome it feels to write lists, because they are organized, and I strive to be nothing but.
- It feels like I am ruining the book. If you think that writing and highlighting words in a book is nice or great, I don’t really know what to make of you. But I AM questioning your sanity right now.
- WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THE BOOK WHEN I’M DONE? I don’t know about you guys, but most of the time I don’t go back and read my writing (on paper, not drafts online) even if I do manage to find them. Um, especially if I was being particularly crafty that day and decided to inscribe a book.
- I don’t want my handwriting in the margins. I have to say, I really must, that my handwriting is fairly superb. But it SO irritates me when things aren’t organized. For example, when I have notes all over the margins, it looks SO unorganized and it really irritates me!
- The great fear of highlighter leaking through the page. This is a real terror. When you highlight something because you are supposed to and you turn the page, and there you have it! A big, bright splotch of color that leaked through the page. I don’t have a penchant for those.
- Flipping through the book when you are done annotating. So when you’re done graffitiing your not-so-delightful pages anymore, you flip through your book, and VOILA! you have rainbow. AND RAINBOWS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE DARKENING THE DOORSTEP OF PRECIOUS WORDS. OKAY.
- You MUST annotate in any school. I guess it is something that they must teach you, but everyone has to annotate in school, and that is purely unfortunate and I see no reason for the ruination of books to be forced onto your conscience.
So there is my list of “Why I hate annotations!” I promise you, my friends hate it too. Some people “hate with a passion” but I hate annotation “unpassionately”. Excuse me while I scream since I am looking at annotated books. Oh! THE RUINED BEAUTY! OH! GENYA! Does no one get my analogy? Yeah? Yeah? Yeah, I’ll stop.
So there is my post for today! What did you guys think, huh? Awesome? Do YOU agree with me? Or do you disagree with me? And why? And have you annotated before? Let’s talk my dearies!